Welcome to the Efabless Open MPW Shuttle Program
MPW-TWO is the second Open MPW Shuttle providing fabrication for fully open-source projects using the SkyWater Open Source PDK announced by Google and SkyWater.
The shuttle provides opportunities for designers to experiment and push the state-of-the-art without having to reconcile the risk associated with the cost of fabrication.
The shuttle program is open to anyone, provided that their project is fully open source and meets the other program requirements. Costs for fabrication, packaging, evaluation boards and shipping are covered by Google for this program.
Project Submission Requirements
The following project requirements must be met in order to qualify for inclusion on the shuttle program:
- The project must be targeted on the currently-supported SkyWater Open PDK for the 130nm process.
- The project must be posted on a git-compatible repo and be publicly accessible.
- The top-level of the project must include a LICENSE file for an approved open-source license agreement. Third-party source code must be identified and source code must contain proper headers. See details here.
- The repo must include project documentation and adhere to Google's inclusive language guidelines. See details here.
- The project must be fully open. The project must contain a GDSII layout, which must be reproducible from source contained in the project.
- Projects must use a common test harness and padframe based on the Caravel repo. New projects should start by duplicating or forking the Caravel User Project repo and implementing their project using the user_project_wrapper. The Caravel repo is configured as a submodule in the project under the ‘caravel’ directory. Note -- you do not need to initialize nor clone the Caravel sub-directory to complete or submit your project. See the project README for further instructions. The projects must be implemented within the user space of the layout and meet all requirements for the Caravel.
- Projects must successfully pass the Open MPW precheck tool, including LVS and DRC clean using the referenced versions of OpenLane flow. Projects should implement and pass a simulation testbench for their design integrated into Caravel. The Caravel User Project provides an example of how to implement this.
For detailed information, please consult the Open MPW FAQs page
- April 19, 2021: Project submission is OPEN
- June 18, 2021: Project submission is CLOSED
- October 20, 2021: Wafer fabrication complete, packaging and assembly begins
- December 6, 2021: Parts and assembled boards shipped to project owners
In order to submit a project for the Open MPW program, complete the following steps:
- Register for an account on the Efabless platform (if you have not done so already)
- Create a project using a public git repo from the My Projects page
- Execute precheck verification tool on your project’s workspace, fix any problems on your repo and re-run precheck
- Complete your profile including full name, email and your physical address
- Submit an Open MPW request using your created project
- Download this form and complete and submit via the request
- Review and complete your MPW service agreement
- Review deliverables for your MPW request and select ‘Submitter Confirmed’ when
you have completed all deliverables
- SkyWater Open PDK: https://github.com/google/skywater-pdk
- OpenLane RTL2GDS Compiler: https://github.com/efabless/openlane
- Caravel Harness: https://github.com/efabless/caravel
- Caravel User Project: https://github.com/efabless/caravel_user_project
- Open MPW Precheck: https://github.com/efabless/open_mpw_precheck
- See the following page